Pages

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Home sweet home.

Yesterday I came back home after my fantastic time in Norway. I had been away for quite a while and getting home to my own room after roaming the rough nature in the North always takes getting used to. While away I had space to carve outside, a good supply of green wood to use and the sound of my axe cheerfully hewing away bothered nobody. All these things are quite different now that I am home where I carve in my room in a flat. I can`t use the axe too long per day, and green wood is rather tricky to come by. Nevertheless I am going out to source some fresh wood soon. There are loads of techniques and shapes I want to try. Here are family-photos of all the spoons I took home from norway.




The large spoon second from the right has a bowl that is stained by the raspberry-jam I made with it.


The soft pink colour of the raspberries has stained the grain in a fantastic way. I find it really difficult to capture it well enough to do it justice (my picture skills sure do need improvement) but you can kind of see it here:

Now I wonder if there are methods to stain wood this way in food-safe colours that do not involve boiling the wood in berries. I`ll have to research that. For now I need to find me some wood first though. Failing that I`ll throw my efforts on kolrosing some treen that I already have. Time to adjust back to 'normal life'.

No comments:

Post a Comment